Certified Flight Instructor & Flight Instructor Instrument – License Eligibility and Requirements
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Must hold either a Commercial Pilot Certificate or Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with an aircraft and class rating that is appropriate to the Flight Instructor rating sought and an Instrument Rating appropriate to the category and class of the rating sought.
- You need to be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language.
- Receive a Logbook endorsement from an authorized Instructor on the fundamentals of instructing and pass the appropriate required knowledge test.
- You will have to pass a written knowledge test (multiple choice questions) that is appropriate to the Flight Instructor rating sought.
- Log at least 15 hours as Pilot-In-Command in helicopters.
- Receive a Logbook endorsement from an authorized Instructor on the areas of operation appropriate to the Flight Instructor rating sought.
- You will need to pass a practical flight test and oral exam with an FAA examiner.
Hourly Dual Instruction Rates for Commercial Pilot Training
R22: $310.00 per hour with no fuel surcharge
R44: $500.00 per hour with no fuel surcharge
Ground School: $40 per hour
CFI (R22) (an example training course cost)
|15 hours of flight (as required, there is no minimum) at $310 per hour||$4,650|
|30 hours of Ground school at $40 per hour||$1,200|
|Two written Tests at $150 each||$300|
|Practical Test Fee||$800.00|
|Total for Certified Flight Instructor||$6,950.00|
CFII (R22) (an example training course cost)
|8 hours of Flight (no minimums) at $310||$2,480|
|15 hours of Ground school at $40 per hour||$600|
|One Written test||$150|
|Practical Test Fee||$800|
|Total for CFII (Certified Flight Instructor Instrument) (R22)||$4,030.00|